I promised pictures of our new house when we moved in months ago, and I did not follow through. I had forgotten just how long it takes to move in, and when you are doing some redecorating/remodeling on top of that, it takes even longer. So my house has been looking a bit post apocalyptic, and I haven't been super keen on showing that off. However, I've realized that is part of the process. The house is going to look worse before it looks better, and it is a tad misleading to show the before and after and not the days/weeks/months of work that it took to get to the after, and say, "It was easy, you can do it!" So, without further ado, the office/craft room/guest space; a work in progress.
Our office is the former owner's formal dining room, which went nicely with their formal living room (to be seen later). We are not that formal, and an office is a much more useful space for my family than a formal living space would be, so the former formal living room will be our very large dining room, and the former formal dining room will make a nice cozy office.
Carpet and baseboards have been removed, bad paint has been stripped, holes have been patched, and priming is complete. We are finally just about ready to begin painting. It has taken us a really long time to get to this point. Why? This...
Peeling Paint. LAYERS of Peeling paint.
Being a good little worker that doesn't cut corners, I stripped the paint. And stripped the paint. And stripped the paint. And stripped the paint.
About 7 layers of paint (and many hours) later I was left with this:
And I realized that I had been an idiot, and learned a lesson. I have no intention of staining that door, and the door is nothing special. I simply need to make sure that my new paint adheres correctly. So from now on, I will not strip when sanding will do, and I will not sand when liquid sanding will do, and I will not spend more time and money repairing an object than it would cost to simply replace it.
Next time painting, and figuring out what to do about this;